So, your girlfriend is pregnant and you’re worried about all the financial commitments that come next. You may be asking, will my insurance pay for my girlfriend’s abortion?
First, know that you’re not alone and you don’t have to rush into any pregnancy decision right away. You and your girlfriend deserve to know about all your pregnancy options.
If you and your partner are considering abortion, here’s what you should know about typical abortion costs and abortion coverage. Insurance can be confusing. We hope this clears it up a bit for you.
Does Abortion Cost Much?
Abortion is pricey – and comes with serious health risks. Abortion costs depend on where you live and the type of abortion procedure your partner receives (confirmed through an ultrasound). Here are typical costs of abortion in Alabama:
- Medical abortion: Costs around $700. Only women 10 weeks pregnant and earlier are eligible for this type of abortion.
- Surgical abortion: Costs around $600-$900, vary based on gestational age and which surgical abortion is done.
These Alabama abortion costs don’t count in all the costs with pre-abortion appointments, follow-up appointments, and any costs that could come up with any abortion health complications.
Will My Insurance Pay for My Girlfriend’s Abortion?
Most of the time, no. Most insurance providers only cover your partner if you’re legally married. In Alabama, Medicaid will not pay for abortions. Many private insurances do not offer abortion coverage either. Here are some things to know about the limited abortion coverage in Alabama:
- Public funding is available for abortion only in cases of life endangerment, rape, or incest.
- Health plans offered in the state’s health exchange under the Affordable Care Act can only cover abortion in cases of life endangerment, rape, or incest.
- The use of telemedicine to administer medication abortion is prohibited.
Talk to your insurance provider to know what kind of coverage you have for your girlfriend and what other options are available, if any, for abortion.
First Step: Verify Your Pregnancy
Your first step before making any type of pregnancy decision is verifying your pregnancy with a lab-quality grade pregnancy test and ultrasound. We offer free and confidential pregnancy confirmation services so you can move forward with clarity and confidence. You’re not alone.
Schedule an Appointment Today
Sit down with us today to talk privately about abortion, and all of your pregnancy options. Be informed and receive the support you need as you and your partner face this unexpected journey. We’re here for you.