Are you pregnant and curious about your abortion options but want to make a safe and informed choice? You’re in the right place! Accessing the abortion pill in the midst of an unplanned pregnancy can be confusing and complicated. What are the risks of ordering the abortion pill online?
It may be tempting to order the abortion pill online, however, before you do, we recommend reading this blog to learn about the potential risks you might encounter.
- Not Everyone is Eligible to Take the Abortion Pill
According to the FDA, only women in the first 70 days of pregnancy are eligible to take the abortion pill. Pregnancies past this point may be too developed and taking the abortion pill may result in an incomplete abortion. An incomplete abortion is an abortion procedure that is not successful in fully removing the fetal tissue from the womb. This can result in serious infections and internal bleeding. The only way to determine whether you are eligible for the abortion pill is to receive an ultrasound scan, which will determine the gestational age of your pregnancy.Schedule a free ultrasound scan at Women’s Care Medical Center today!
- Abortion Pills Offered Online May Not be FDA Approved
Before taking any medication, it’s important to ensure that it’s approved for consumption by the FDA. Unfortunately, many of the websites selling the abortion pill are offering medications that are not approved and could result in serious side effects and long-term health risks.To learn more about the pregnancy options that are safe for you, visit Women’s Care Medical Center today! Our consultations and services are completely free and confidential.
- You May Not Have Access to the Emergency Care You Need
Ordering the abortion pill online will limit your access to emergency help in case of serious complications.
The abortion pill has been associated with serious health complications, including infection, septic shock, and hemorrhaging. When left untreated, these conditions can be fatal. Because of this, it’s important to only consider taking the abortion pill under medical supervision.
However, even abortion procedures provided in professional medical settings are not without risk. Consult a medical professional about the risks and side effects you may face when taking the abortion pill.
Steps to Take Before Accessing the Abortion Pill
As we’ve mentioned, taking the abortion pill may be accompanied by severe risks and side effects. In order to avoid unnecessary complications, we recommend taking the following steps before deciding if the abortion pill is safe for you:
1. Receive lab-quality pregnancy testing to confirm your pregnancy in a confidential, medical setting.
2. Get an ultrasound scan to determine the gestational age of your pregnancy and your eligibility for the abortion pill. You’ll also learn important information about your health and whether or not your pregnancy is viable.
3. Get tested for STDs to determine if you have any infections which could lead to abortion pill complcations, such as Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (PID).1
If you’re experiencing an unplanned pregnancy, visit Women’s Care Medical Center! Our staff will provide you with free medical-grade pregnancy testing, an ultrasound scan, STD testing, community referrals, and more.
Schedule your free appointment today!
1. Westergaard L, Phillipsen T, Scheibel J (1982). “Significance of cervical Chlamydia trachomatis infection in postabortal pelvic inflammatory disease.” Obstetrics and Gynecology, 68(5): 668-90; Ovigstad E, et al. (1983). “Pelvic inflammatory disease associated with Chlamydia trachomatis infection after therapeutic abortion.” Br J Vener Dis, 59: 189-92; Heisterberg L, et al. (1987). “The role of vaginal secretory immunoglobulin a, gardnerella vaginalis, anaerobes, and Chlamydia trachomatis in post abortal pelvic inflammatory disease.” Acta Obstetricia et Gynecologica Scandinavica, 66(2): 99-102.