Every woman experiences pregnancy differently. Some women don’t notice pregnancy symptoms, while others are overwhelmed with many symptoms.
Though symptoms can vary, there are symptoms that are commonly associated with pregnancy. Keep reading to learn about the top 7 pregnancy symptoms.
1. Missed period- When a pregnancy implants in a woman’s body, it releases a hormone called human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG). This signals the body to halt a woman’s monthly cycle so the uterine lining is not shed.
A woman’s missed period is often the first pregnancy symptom she notices.
2. Nausea with or without vomiting- The increasing hormone levels in a woman’s body can lead to nausea that may or may not be accompanied by vomiting. Sometimes food aversions are also experienced.
Though nausea in pregnancy is often referred to as “morning sickness,” it can occur at any time of the day.
3. Fatigue- overwhelming tiredness can occur early in pregnancy. Hormones are thought to be the cause of this symptom.
4. Tender and swollen breasts- Changing hormones are the reason behind breast changes in early pregnancy.
For many women, sensitive breasts signal that their period will start soon.
5. Frequent urination- increased blood volume in pregnancy means extra work for the kidneys. As they filter extra blood, more waste is released through increased urination.
6. Mood Swings- As with most other pregnancy symptoms, mood swings are also completely normal and caused by shifting hormone levels.
7. Bloating- fullness in the belly can also be experienced during early pregnancy. As the progesterone in the body increases, it slows digestion which can cause bloating.
Because each of these symptoms can be caused by other factors, they can not be trusted to verify pregnancy. If you experience a few symptoms after unprotected sex, you should find out if you are pregnant by taking a pregnancy test a week after your missed period.
It is essential that if you think you are pregnant, you take a pregnancy test. Confirming a pregnancy with testing and ultrasound is the only way to know for sure if you are pregnant.
Free Pregnancy Confirmation. If you think you are pregnant, contact us to schedule a free, confidential appointment. Get the answers you need to keep your life moving.